Saturday, November 1, 2008

Bittersweet times of our lives....

I received this picture today, as you might guess it is a mother and daughter. The mothers is Brody's, Anagram International CSR. I see in this picture, happiness, sadness, joy, caring, fear, longing & love. You might see other thing as well, but we (parents & even children of parents) understand the richness of such moments.

It was 10 years ago today that my father, the man who shaped me & taught me everything he could, lay on his death bed preparing to go somewhere he had never been before. I was happy for him, truly! I was very sad to see him go, but I knew he wasn't happy in his body anymore & needed to move beyond it. He was in hospice. My brothers & I had decided that one of us would stay at his house with him & our mother on alternating nights until something changed. I had spent the previous night & had not slept well. As more & more family members & friends called & stopped by, I felt a need to be with my young family. I found a quite moment with my father to tell him good bye, have fun, I love you. I embraced him one last time & went home knowing, that would be the last time I would see him alive. I was happy with that, I had no urge to see him draw his last breath or to experience the moment of death.

When I got home I was greeted by my 3 loving children ages 10, 6, & 3 as well as my beautiful wife. They where happy to see me. We all talked for a time, we where sad to lose him. Alice (my wife) & I knew he was the glue that held my extended family together. Without him there would be a void with no sign of a way to overcome it. We decided to take a walk in the woods even though it was a cold & grey day. It was a quiet, somber walk, with each of us absorbed in our own thoughts, but we where together & knew we had each other for support. I remember how sweet is was for me to have my little family to cling to and anchor me at this time of my life. I am still amazed that the business was able to survive this period, I believe that speaks to how solid a staff we have & how strong our customer base is.

This period of my life was when I recognized how bittersweet life can be. Terry, I thank you for sharing, & allow me to use your picture as a catalyst! I recognize now that we choose to be happy or sad, angry or accepting, it is our choice. Everything we do is a choice, choose to look for the good, & encourage others to do the same. Lee

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a beautiful person. Your dad must have been very proud.

I choose to be happy and am glad you do to.

Marty

Lee Kaufman said...

Let's go out in February.