Sunday, October 11, 2009

Frosty Morning Walk by the Creek

It was cold in the Chicago area today, I suppose that is why it was so still & quite when I woke at about 7. The Salt Creek runs about ½ a mile from my house. I have enjoyed many hours walking, skiing, biking & boating in & around this visionary resource over the 20 plus years that I have lived in Westchester, IL.


In college I was a Photography Major, but I burned out my junior year, & never pursued photography professionally. I have an recurring fantasy of working for National Geographic, or Sports Illustrated, which I nourish by having this saying next to one of my many desks "It's never to late to be what you could have been."

On one of my walks last year I was awed by the frost crystals on the plants. I did not have a camera with me & must have made a pact with myself to revisit this place at the proper time. This morning I was disappointed as I walked the trail. There was no frost, no ice in frozen puddles, the ground didn't even crunch under my footfalls.
I did find some nice mushrooms.
These mushrooms made me think of the "Omnivore's Dilemma" which is; they sure do look good, but will they kill you if you eat them? There is another part of this dilemma too, being a true Omnivore one will eat anything, therefore we have morals & ethics.
Well I kept on going & lucky for me I wandered into the back side of the sledding hill. The open prairie like space was frosted! You may not realize but you must have very special conditions to have this kind of frost or even dew. If there is any wind at all they will not form.
What does any of this have to do with balloons, you ask? Well everything & nothing at all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lee, I like your blog. Very insightful.